RE: Scoring Sheets

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sears, Ellen (ESears.us)
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 17:50:46 -0500

Diane,
Until I used scoring sheets or rubrics, I didn't realize how much of what I
was looking for was left unclear or unsaid. It makes me think a little
harder about what I really am focusing on and what I want the students to
think about or accomplish. I also have to remember that the students need
something to look at to make sure they are hitting all of the objectives.
(Different styles of learning - hearing or reading) Many times I have my
students contribute to the development of the rubrics. I ask them what they
would look for, how they would score a project. My rubrics can be pretty
detailed or just a checklist.
Rubrics are a large part of our state assessment (writing portfolios, math
portfolios, open response...) The students are used to them.
Ellen