Re: Art is not recess

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Ellyn Wenk (ellyn)
Wed, 03 Feb 1999 22:44:40 -0500

Just today I was giving my introduction to a fourth grade class about
form: open and closed clay animals and how to attach legs and hallow
them out etc. and in walked a student about 10 minutes late. I
explained my introduction again for him. Then low and behold if another
student did not pop in 15 minutes late. I re explained again. Then
darn if another didn't show up 20 minutes late! I said why are you all
coming in here late? The teacher had kept them to catch up on their
school work.

I went to talk to her. I said you know that is pretty thoughtless of
you to do that to me. I had to re explain the lesson 3 times. "I knew
you would be upset , she said, but when else can I get them caught up on
their reading?" You know I sure get sick of people thinking reading is
the only subject in the school.

I told her my class is not recess and it makes me mad when teachers
treat it that way. I guess I made her mad, but I was pretty upset at
the lack of respect for my class and my time. The standards have made
classroom teachers think that only the testable subjects are worth
while. If it isn't tested than it is a frill.

Ellyn