Re: teaching English through art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Wed, 03 Feb 1999 19:33:08 -0800

dogswan wrote:
> Hi,
> I am putting together a proposal for a local institute that offers
> English as a Second Language classes. The theme of the course I am
> proposing is to use art as a tool for teaching English (students would
> learn technical skills, learn about other cultures, receive classes in
> art history as well as learn English). I would greatly appreciate any
> advice, encouragement, success stories and lesson plans anyone may
> have to offer.
> Thanks,
> Rob

Hi, Rob,

As a HS art teacher with an ESL endorsement and 15 years teaching on a
reservation, you seem to have a good grasp of what art can do for LEP
students. Art is a fantastic way to get across many language concepts.
For starters, think about all the descriptive vocabulary the students
will learn and use. In addition, they will be viewing a great deal of
art and making connections between concrete and abstract ideas. It will
be important that they continually use verbal language in critiquing
their own and others' work, as well as while looking at reproductions.

If you are not familiar with Harry Broudy's Aesthetic Scanning method,
acquaint yourself with it. It is similar to Feldman's system for looking
at and talking about art (sorry, the name of it escapes me.) If you
like, I can send you an extensive handout with descriptors and a sample
essay.

I also teach an art history class at the HS and community college levels
(also with LEP students) and may be able to give you some more
suggestions if you can let me know more about what you're planning to
teach.

Good luck with this program.

Maggie