Re: Kiln difficulties

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Numo Jaeger & Michael Miller (jaegmil)
Tue, 02 Feb 1999 12:52:23 +0000

Your kiln should have a vent attached to it especially if you are not
firing it in a dedicated kiln room or outside. Look into purchasing an
envirovent for the kiln.

You can purchase the prong (kiln sitter prong) for the kiln easily enough
at a ceramics supply house nearby where you live or you can have it shipped
to you at your school. They don't cost very much money.

The prong may be a thermocouple. Those are more expensive to replace but
not really that difficult.

Find out who the manufacturer is and either write or e-mail the company for
the kiln manual. Kilns are very simple pieces of equipment.

It could be that the person firing the kiln last year over fired the kiln.
When the bricks get fired repeatedly they become a bit more brittle, but
brittle bricks work just fine. What they look like is not really a
concern...the brick are insulators. The part that may or may not be a
problem are the wire elements. If they are old they will not fire properly
or evenly.

If a kiln has not been fired for a long time it will tend to be a bit
smelly when it is fired. The dust burning is stinky. It's just like turning
on the furnace in your house for the first time in the winter.

The firing schedule that you were giving does sound a bit odd...Low at the
end for two hours? That doesn't sound right.

Numo Jaeger
Ceramics Department
Studio One Art Center
Oakland CA