Re: Seaking expert ceramic advice

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Numo Jaeger & Michael Miller (jaegmil)
Mon, 01 Feb 1999 18:37:52 +0000

Did you preheat the tiles in the kiln for at least 4 hours before you
turned the kiln on? Some of the digital setting on the kilns are to fast a
firing schedule.

Does your kiln have a ramping system? If so, set the ramping system so that
it stays below the boiling temperature of water for a few hours and then
time it so that it passes through the boiling temperature slowly.

One of the main reasons for failure in firing pieces in a kiln is that
there is water in the clay body. The pieces need to be bone dry before they
are fired.

For a the initial firing called the bisque or bisquit firing you shouldn't
raise the temperature any faster than 200 degrees F per hour.

Numo Jaeger
Ceramics Department
Studio One Art Center
Oakland CA