Well.....I'll agree with half of what yous ay. No doubt you do poison
yourself with oils in unventilated places. I once foolishly taught oil
painting in the summer in a portable...without windows. One afternoon I
got really, really sick and just couldn't stop throwing up. Not fun, stuck
in the teacher's room...
But, I have yet to find a medium that behaves in QUITE the same way.
Close, but just not the same. Acrylics just dry too fast for me. I like
to kind of make it up as I go along, and the water-based media require a
bit more virtuosity. I've taught oil painting since, but found the
odorless thinners helped (I know they are still toxic) and teaching in a
much more open area, with windows and doors open. But, frankly, oil
painting is kinda wasted on the very young! For teaching purposes, give me
the water-based media.