Note: To protect the privacy of our members, e-mail addresses have been removed from the archived messages. As a result, some links may be broken.
We have been working on sculpture - I started with paper, we went to
modeling (small clay sketches) and then on to assembling and removing.
I gave each student a turned piece of wood (from a scrap box I ordered from
Sax or somewhere), one 12" - 15" length of wire (green plastic coated
clothes line), one 9" square of metal screen and a wood cutout (just a
simple cut out - thick wavy line/ seaweed type). They were to bring in
three found objects from home.
Each table had saws, pliers, hammers, a hand drill, wood glue, nails, tacks
and scissors. Each student has to create a sculpture from the same
materials (except for 3 found objects)... they could do anything they
wanted. It has been great to see the results. They seem to enjoy the
challenge. At this point I have not introduced surface decoration - I plan
to do that with the next project.