Re: Questions

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Roy Liebergen (rllieber)
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 20:22:20 -0600

Ann Weaver wrote:

> 1. Do any of you have classroom teachers who keep kids from art class to
> finish classroom work? Our school does not allow this except for the children who are in the ED program. They are kept out of all classes when unacceptable behaviors occur. We have an ED teacher with a self-contained classroom for when there are serious problems but try to keep the students in the regular classes as much as possible. My policy regarding these students is that if they are held out as a consecquence of their behavior and miss the introduction of a lesson, they cannot come back until we start a new lesson. I don't do this to continue their punishment but to keep my sanity, reteaching the lesson whenever students are allowed back in class is almost impossible, there is no time to reteach for individual students and answer all the questions about works in progress, keep an eye on the other children who have other problems, watch out for supplies, etc--you know what I mean.
>
> 2. For those of you who have done murals with K-5 kids, how did you handle
> the project?

I have never done a mural (I would like to try it though). We have had
an artist in residence who came to our school, took the children's
sketches and then went back to his studio and produced the art work and
brought it back and installed it. I was very disappointed in the way it
was handled, by the way, I was not consulted regarding this, the
principal took care of all the details. I also think a mural in a
school should be student ideas and student work. I think the students'
work is so wonderful, even if it doesn't look as polished as a
professionals.

Carol