RE: Questions

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sears, Ellen (ESears.us)
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 13:26:52 -0500

#1. I have had kids miss art because they had to finish something in
the room. It really doesn't happen any more. I'm not sure why it
stopped, I didn't really talk to the teachers - I talked to the
principal though. The one that is here now knows that it is not an
acceptable practice. I'm sure he had something to do with it. (Art is a
class like any other.)

#2. We have done more large canvases than murals. I prefer the large
canvases because our school is always changing structurally, and we
would probably lose some things. The ones we have can be moved as
needed. The last ones we did were illustrating African folk tales. The
kids drew scenes form the tale, then a group worked together to make a
larger sketch. Several diagonal lines were drawn on the canvas to
divide the surface. Sketches were done in chalk or pencil (I like
chalk, pencil line is deceiving to a child... they can do more with a
pencil line than they can do with a brush.) I usually have an adult
supervising each canvas... to make sure things are drawn big enough -
just general guidance. sometimes we use one color (or black) to outline
everything first. Paint in. Go over lines if needed. Seal.
The few murals we have done just haven't lasted. Part of the building
is underground, and even though the wall was sealed and prepped - they
just didn't last.

I like the kids work. Many of the school districts near us hired
someone to do lots of wall paintings in the schools... so when you walk
in one school, it looks like any other.

One other thing we did do for the library - Caldecott/ Newberry winner
quilts (done in reading classes and art) and illustrated tiles. The
tiles were removed from the wall when the library was moved. We just
used 6 inch white tiles and glazes. It would be easier now with all of
the new heat set/ time cured tile paints.