Re: storytelling & art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Kimberly Anne Herbert (kimberly)
Wed, 25 Feb 1998 22:52:36 -0600

Julia,
I love your storytelling idea. Can I borrow it for our next exhibit?
Our target audience at CAM is elementary. We have come up with a way to
help the teachers justify the trip to the museum. We include the TEKS
(Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills) that the current exhibit would
help fulfill. I make a table that includes grade levels, the activities,
and the TEKS. This also helps show that we are not just for K-2, but
that we are working to aid teachers k-6. If you can get a copy of the
state or district curriculum (and an interpeter is sometimes required),
you can match your activities to the curriculum and give the teachers
new ways to approach their lessons. Don't forget the history/social
studies teachers their curriculum often lends itself to art.
We've been helping our local Cultural Affairs Council to make the TEKS
available to all the arts groups with interpretation as needed. I have
to recreate some worksheets that I learned about at an Museum Education
program (I lost the templates in a crash). If you want, I can try and
send them to you this weekend.

Kimberly Herbert
CAM Adminstrator
kimberly

PS. I just thought of something that came up when I was helping Cultural
Affairs with this. We don't put the Text of the TEKS on the flyer just
the numbers #####ArtGrade 4III(a)(1)(A)for example. But we do use key
words and phrases from them in our discription if we can without it
sounding like gobably gook.