Re: storytelling & art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Mark Alexander (mamjam)
Wed, 25 Feb 1998 22:56:53 -0500

Great, Julia!

I really like the idea that the students will have to actually look for
things in individual works-more important than seeing lots of work is
looking very carefully at a few. You're onto something wonderful here, and
I'd love to visit you, if my field trip allotment weren't filled for this
year.

Two thoughts to help you develop this tour idea:

One, prepare a small set of slides or posters which can be sent to the
classroom ahead of time. These should be accompanied by some prepared
questions in the format you will use in your exercise at the museum, to
give them a chance to practice before they get there. These images should
be ones they'll pass and recognize enroute to the works you feature with
your story exercise on the tour. When they see something they recognize
they will feel more comfortable and better prepared to participate. Please
be sure to include realistic, abstract, and non-objective art in this story
telling exercise!

Two, when they get to the illustration exercise, reverse the process. Story
telling goes both ways. After the above exercise, read a story for them
which they can then illustrate. The idea here being that sometimes pictures
tell stories and sometimes stories tell pictures. You could also read
poetry or an instramental piece of music, which they can illustrate.
Encourage realistic, abstract, and/or non-objective responses.

A few questions about murals: Murals are fun, but in my experience, middle
school aged kids often don't readily cooperate with the group for a mural,
especially when they're making literal imagery. You may find they claim
ownership to a section and just work there, so the mural's composition
might not look like a cooperative effort.

Recently I had a great experience on an artist studio visit with 21 grade 8
students who made four huge abstract murals. I've also had good luck on
other projects when I assigned groups to tasks such as a sky group and a
mountain group, but these group efforts take a lot of time. Perhaps others
with more experience can offer motivation suggestions for one-shot murals
at the middle school level?

Keep up the inspiring work, Julia! I hope to meet you in Springfield one day!

Mark

Mark Alexander, 1-8 Art
Lee H. Kellogg School
47 Main Street