Re: Deadlines

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Sun, 22 Feb 1998 20:54:43 -0800

Sidnie Miller wrote:

> Reading what Duffy wrote about most kids not handing in homework--or
> I guess it was most of the kids who flunk won't do homework--our
> area is noticing a huge trend where MOST kids won't do homework--in
> any subject. Only the honors classes can expect and rely upon students
> to do work at home and get it in the next day. Our teachers are starting
> to slide into a classwork only curriculum because of the huge percentage
> of flunking grades. Is this just here or are others experiencing it?

Sidnie,

You're not alone. We've had this problem for years. It started 'way back (this is
on a reservation) when kids were attending day schools and still living in wikiups with
no electricity; up until about 20-25 years ago, most families still had no electricity
or indoor plumbing. Homework was out of the question. It's just always been a real
struggle to get kids to do it, and many teachers just gave up.

We just instituted a policy at our HS where each department has to designate which
classes are basic, intermediate, and advanced, and homework will be assigned a certain
number of minutes per week. Students will see these designations in the registration
catalog and can plan accordingly.

Maggie**remove x in address to reply