Re: deadlines and daily grades

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Stubby4B
Sun, 22 Feb 1998 12:49:29 EST

In a message dated 98-02-22 12:18:19 EST, betti longinotti writes:

> It may seem like a lot of work
> to give out daily grades for students, but it was just done while they
> were in class as a part of my class procedure, towards the conclusion of
> class. It also reinforced process over product because there might be
> many, many good days for students and then one bad day which destroyed
> what they had accomplished.

I met a teacher who also did a daily grade. A kid walked into a class with a
20, and it'd be reduced by five for each infraction. She kept track on a
transparency, and at the end of class she'd project it on the screen so kids
could see immediately how they had done for the day. At the end of the week
she'd add them all up - 100 for a perfect week. She said that kids *always*
looked to see how they did as they left the room. If I recall, this was a
participation grade, used in addition to other grading systems.

Duffy Franco