Re: Time management

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Fran Marze (fmaiu+@pitt.edu)
Sat, 21 Feb 1998 19:47:49 -0500 (EST)

Can you resign form yearbook? I know what you mean as I taught newspaper
editing and advised school newspaper for 7 years and publications are huge
sources of stress. I believe, from my friend who did yearbook, that
yearbook is even more intense, but I have a disabled husband at home which
is almost like a one and one half year old so I had major stress. I no
longer do that when i was able to transfer to art (my primary
certification) I think you could cut down the extra curricular stuff until
your child is older and it might help. Also, your idea for elementary
grading sounds good. I was a PAEA conference today and we talked some
about assessment. Perhaps, everything doesn't have to be a major
grade-possibly a pass/fail or something.

I have found that most of us spend as much time as we are willing to and
maybe that is not the best thing to do. Also, I'm reading set design-do
you need to do this? I think really all the extra things I do are more
stressful than the teaching. We did scholastics, are working on
committees, etc. All that stuff. Do yourself a big favor. Believe me,
someone else will come forward for those other things. You'll probably
want to continue to showcase your student art so you must do art
fairs/exhibits as part of art teaching job, but the other things...think
about it. Maybe i shouldn't give you that kind of advice, but I've been
there and do understand. I didn't want to give up newspaper but made the
choide and have never regretted it. Not that I didn't enjoy my years doing
that. The students on staff that were underclassmen during my last year as
adviser tried to give a guilt trip that I was abandoning them, but guess
what they survived, graduated and moved on so i did what was best for me
and have a whole new area of influence. Fran