Re: Puppetry

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Stenger - Judith DiSalvo (jstenger)
Sat, 21 Feb 1998 15:32:12 -0500 (EST)

Hello Diane,
I use a puppetry unit with my seventh graders. Almost everyone--even
the kids who think they're sooo sophisticated, are enchanted by making and
using puppets. Results in the end products have been mixed. Some entire
groups have made outstanding puppets. Others have been less than
beautiful. Next week, I'm taking them to see a professional production.
Hopefully, this will give them a better frame of reference. Part of the
problem is, of course, budget. It would be wonderful to have big bucks
for good quality self hardening clays, and such. But we make do fairly
will. The kids use a very basic pattern for the costume, and may
embellish it as they wish. They may hand sew or take it home and machine
sew the seams. I beg--yes, I admit to buying remnants, too. Sometimes I
have them break into groups ahead of time and choose from a set of folk
tales from different cultures. They may script, tape, and present the
show for extra credit. This is a long project--about a month with the
presentations. I get tired of it toward the end, but the kids would
stretch it out forever. Have fun
Judy