Re: Art history and preschool

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Ellyn Wenk (ellyn)
Sat, 21 Feb 1998 13:01:55 -0500

Familia Cisneros wrote:

> Hi my name is InÚs Cisneros I am a preschool teacher in Caracas
> Venezuela,
> i work in a bilingual school were I teach English.I would like to know
> if
> someone works with preschool children and if did you ever introduce to
> your
> Kids art history How can I do that for so young children?

I teach preschool art and the way that I teach them art is : I pick a
theme each week with reproductions to match that theme, for example,
Mothers and Children, The color red, Trees, houses, friends, play,
work, families, things that are a big part of their world. All I need
is 36 themes, Sometimes I try to match the theme that the preschool
teacher is using.
We gather around in the story pit and I show them the reproductions I
chose. I then ask them to lalk about the works of art what they think
is happening,what colors are used, what shapes, the feelings of the
subject. Then after looking and talking about the paintings I have them
draw their own ideas of the concept. I always write notes to the
parents about the artists that they looked at. That way I am
introducing the family to art too. I always tell the parents what the
children have learned, you know the objectives of the lesson and how
important art is to their physical as well as mental development which I
truly believe. By the end of preschool I not only have educated the
children but also the parents. I respect the children's natural level
of development and proudly display their scribbles for our whole school
to admire. I really try to avoid step by step cutesie lessons. The
challenge is getting them to focus on the reproductions and ask
questions about them. It is taking a little time to get time to do this
without blurting out something like I lost a tooth . But it is well
worth the effort.
Ellyn