Re: Here's my question ...

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
bkingman
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 22:03:45 EST

My advice is to start out very strict, and you can always ease up later.
Set up definite rules, consequences and stick to them. You can't get
your teaching across if the students are disruptive. I had a cooperating
teacher in secondary when I was student teaching who compared students to
puppies. She said if you "train" them well in the beginning, you will
have good classroom management. But, if you don't, like an untrained
puppy grows into an uncontrollable dog...well you get the idea. You need
to set the tone of the class right away and it will pay off. I don't
think a teacher should ever tolerate students throwing things in the
classroom. Good luck. Student teaching was the toughest thing I ever
did. Hope it goes well for you!

On 20 Feb 1998 21:15:42 -0000 mcdoug43 (Sarah Elizabeth
McDougall) writes:
>HI!
> I'm a Student Teacher and my first full week in the classroom
>starts this Monday. The classroom that I'm working in is real
>laid-back
>and the kids always seem at ease (7-12). As part of my course work,
>I'm
>supposed to think of my philosophy on Classroom Management. My
>cooperating teacher has a very Interpersonal approach with her
>students and
>I think that's particially why they seem to react so well to her. The
>students seem to know their limits( with my cooperating teacher) ...
>and
>the classroom climate has been set. The students can move as they
>please
>and socilaize throughout class .... I have absoluting no probelm with
>that
>.... actually it makes more at ease that they are not as quiet as
>field
>mice. Although I sometimes wish that my philosophy would fall more
>towards
>that of my cooperating teacher, I realize that for my own sanity and
>first
>experience in the teaching world, I need to try my own approach to see
>if I
>can feel even more comfortable....I want my student teaching
>experience to
>get me off to a positive start in the education world.
>
>One of my goals would be to set-up my own rules for the classroom.
>The
>students are not what I would even consider "bad", yet some of their
>behaviors make me so nervous (For example: throwing pencils & crayons,
>mild
>rough-housing, foul-language, etc.) I'd like to establish a list of
>very
>simple rules: No throwing objects, noise level should be that I can
>talk
>over (since I have a rather quiet voice and prefer not raising it
>unless
>neccessary). Of course, if the rules were broken, there would have to
>be a
>plan of action. Do I send the student who is talking over me into the
>hallway until I'm finished talking? Do I make a seating chart if
>noise
>level is uncontrollable? Do I start a demerit system ..... everytime
>you
>throw an object it gets marked down ....once it's happened 3,5, 7,
>.... you
>face this consequence?
>
>My mother is also a classroom educator ... although not in art. I
>spoke to
>her about my goal. She wondered if this would push the students away
>from
>me because they are already so accustomed to the classroom "climate".
>My
>cooperating teacher is great in that she has told me that she'll
> [...]

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]