RE: Time management

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Fields, Linda (fieldsl.us)
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 10:23:57 -0500

Hello out there! I have just joined you this week and have gotten such
pleasure from reading all the messages, but now I'm feeling even more
overwhelmed than usual! My family is amazed that this former technophobe
has actually begun getting up an hour earlier in order to get to school
in time to read all this stuff! It's fun, but not helping my time
management any.
Anyway, I think time management is a big issue for any teacher
who cares about what he/she is doing, and most especially, for creative
people-we can always find something else we need, or want to do. After
25 years, I have finally decided that what doesn't get done during the
day will either get done tomorrow, or wasn't that important in the first
place. Of course, sometimes this philosophy works, sometimes it doesn't,
but except at crunch times, like grading periods, I seldom take work
home. One thing that is very helpful to me is to stay late on Fridays. I
find I can do that when I know I don't have to be back bright and early
the next day (and it gives me such a lift on Monday mornings.) I
generally use this time to catch up on grading, clean up my room, and
organize for the next week. I got a kick out of the middle school
teacher who had left high school-I did the opposite. After 14 years in
middle, I left for high school and find that to be even more of a time
management nightmare. Not only am I expected to do the usual art teacher
stuff, but bathroom duty, lunch duty, sell tickets at ball games, do
lettering for others, help students with career guidance, etc. ad
infinitum. The two extra things that take time, but I feel are worth
doing are serving on our site-based leadership team and our student
services assistance team. I believe that one way arts people can make
themselves valued as equals is to not only share the load, but to
participate as professionals in the total school program. Serving on
site-based teams gives one a handle on the thinking of the rest of the
staff, allows one to express the cultural arts point of view, and
enables one to participate in the division of resources (esp. $$$) of
the school. Serving on student assistance teams allows administrators,
guidance people, and other teachers see that we can often add valuable
insight into students who are having problems. In our generally less
structured environments we often pick up on conversations or goings-on
that others don't observe, or we may even see things in artistic
expressions.
I feel I am rambling on here, but I guess what my philosophy
boils down to on time management is this-I do first those things which
directly affect my children; second, those things which directly affect
my well-being, and the rest of the administrivia gets done as time
permits.
Hang in there. Remember that to be effective, you have to be
physically, mentally, and emotionally healthy and strong. That won't
happen if you are totally stressed. Linda