Re: Reed pens

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Mark Alexander (mamjam)
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 18:54:26 -0500

Dear Marian,

Those natural pen landscape drawings by van Gogh are great art references,
with all those wonderful textures he used to define light and dark as well
as plane and space! Do you have another artist's work in mind?

We have quite a few of those big patches of bamboo, that non-native pest
that grows like a weed, rampantly taking over any disturbed earth. It has
stems about an inch in diameter, and it'll overtake any yard or garden.
Can't kill it and it would be nice to find a use for it. It even grows
through asphalt, but I haven't had much luck making pens with it. The milk
weed stems and day lily stems are hollow and sometimes the dried up ones
can be cut to a pen shape. Those that're still out there now might work, if
they're not too rotten.

If you get responses privately, would you please share them with the group?

Just out of curiosity, are you on Cape Ann or Cape Cod or some other cape?

Thanks, Mark

Mark Alexander, 1-8 Art
Lee H. Kellogg School
47 Main Street