RE: more sketchbooks and deadlines

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sears, Ellen (ESears.us)
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 11:35:58 -0500

You wrote:
> I would like to hear continuing input on grade formulas. How do you
> weight
> sketchbooks with other assignments? I go through a lot of
> Post-It-Notes for
> individual comments when grading sketchbook assignments. How do the
> rest of
> you sketchbook assigners do it?
>
> Thanks, Mark

I give assignments every Monday, due the next Monday. Usually five
drawings, but lately I have incorporated writing responses too. They
are all on the same subject (space, shading, value, texture, an
artist...) Last year I really got into labels on the computer... I had
been writing individual comments, but it takes too much time. Now I
make sure that at the bottom of the sketchbook assignment, I write the
specific items I will be looking for. Then I print out sheets of labels
with those items listed. I have 3 columns: satisfactory, needs work and
improving. Then I check off each item (in the appropriate column) as it
was completed in the sketches. Each week the assignment is worth 25
points. Just a scale for them to see where they fall. (I should make a
general rubric for assignments and score 0-4... the state of Kentucky
uses them for writing portfolios, math portfolios and open responses...
the kids should be used to them. We used the set of drawing
"Performance Assessment Charts" this year.)
Each child buys a sketchbook as part of their supplies in the beginning
of the year. Homeroom teachers collect them and I hold them until the
child comes to class. All classwork is done from front to back... all
outside sketchbook assignments are done back to front, labels go on the
inside back cover. If needed, students have parent's sign the back
cover... (incomplete, not their best work, good job... '"Thought you
might like to know"..) New assignments are placed in the sketchbook
when they are returned to the students after scoring.... if you didn't
turn one in - you don't get the new assignment.

How does the grade factor in?
What is the purpose of the sketchbook? Audience? (These are all things
the kids work on for their writing portfolio pieces...) for me, I just
want them to practice a drawing as a skill - hopefully it will transfer
to 'drawing for enjoyment' - just like reading and writing for
enjoyment. I like to expose them to a little more than what we are able
to cover in the 6 weeks of class (I have to be careful when coming up
with the assignments. One year I tried to add new things - trying to
squeeze out more time. Even though I had examples etc., in the
handout... without some kind of introduction they were confused - now I
make sure they go home and read - come back the next day with any
questions...)

Sooo - no 'real' grade. I only have middle school for 6 weeks I don't
feel that I can adequately assess abilities etc., in that time. (Not
just because it's art - I couldn't give my math kids a definite/final
grade after 6 weeks... to many variables/skills /content ideas to factor
in...)

For the most part - the kids complete the assignments. If there
is a problem - it is consistent with other classes and assignments
(which means there is something else going on with that child.)

I have only had one student turn in work that was completed by
someone else. Two years in a row. And knowing the family, it could
have been either parent or they paid someone to do it.... Honestly.

Looking forward to others' ideas...
Ellen