Re: Children's Art Museum

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Kimberly Anne Herbert (kimberly)
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 08:59:00 -0600

Mark,
I mention I'm with the Children's Art Museum in my post, because I've
found on other listserves people assume you dealing with a regular
classroom situation. Some of our activities and solutions to problems
are influenced by being a museum. For example we with school groups we
have only 15 min. per activity because of restrictions of time and
space. We consider a field trip and introduction, and give each child a
free pass to come back. We are located in San Angelo Texas a small West
Texas city. We are one of a very few children's museums that focuses on
visual arts. Currently we are involved in a community wide effort to
assess what our school district is doing right, and what improvements
need to be made. We recently form a new group outside of the systemic
mapping project to advocate Art in Education. It includes the Museums
(CAM is part of the San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts), symphony, civic
theature, Cultural Affairs Council, the school foundation, various
artist groups, independent music teachers and teachers within the school
district. We meet once a month, alternating the times (one month at
Noon, the next at 4:00) so the different groups can send
representatives. This group resulted from a dialog on Art in Education
that included representatives from a Getty project in Texas as well as
Texas Commission on Arts and others.
I'm sorry for any confusion this caused.

Kimberly
kimberly