Re: creativity

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Kimberly Anne Herbert (kimberly)
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 07:33:30 -0600

Lisa,
I think creativity has to be nurtured. At the Children's Art Museum, we
have hands on activities that relate to our exhibit. For example we
currently are exhibiting Leroy Archuleta's Animal Sculptures. Our
activities are "Found Object Sculpture", "Animal Prints" (a sponge
painting activity), "Animal Smudgings" (oil pastels and stencils),
"Camoflauge" (children decorate cutouts of animals and the background to
hide the animal), "Construction paper sculpture", and "clay play". Some
children take to the activities very quickly, other keep asking what am
I suppose to make. They hate our answer what ever you want. We have to
encourage them step by step. I have seen some children blossom. They and
their parents come regularly and encourage the other beginers at
creativity. Once the children realize we really mean it when we tell
them they can do what ever they like with the materials (provided they
are not distroying supplies or risking hurting themselves or others) We
do provide some advise (for example we show them how to collaps a
plastic bottle to start cutting it instead of stabbing it with safty
scissors or to use tape instead of glue when glueing plastic) Some of
the older kids know to come to me if they need an adult pair of
scissors, or exacto knife. I have noticed some of the regulars helping
out others using the same methods of the staff.
Kimberly
kimberly