Re: deadlines vs. learning

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 22:37:55 -0800

JUDIEJ48 wrote:

> Maggie, a sticky matter--I have the same restrictions about makeup work--due
> within one week after missed. However, there are always circumstances that
> seem to make this impossible. I usually don't spend a lot of time reminding
> them of the need to make up the work, average in a "0", and if they make an
> effort to make up the work, it's usually on their own time and with limited
> assistance, as I'm off in another direction with new projects. I don't think
> it is a good idea to be lax in this area of makeup work--in the real work
> world if you don't show up for work, there usually are consequences?
> Sometimes, it is very difficult to make up work, due to having to round up
> special supplies, etc., which makes more work for me. Work made up later
> than one week, usually does not get full credit. It's difficult to hold the
> line on this, but so far it's working.
>
> Would like more comments from you.
> Hi, Judie, and everyone else,

One important detail I left out of my original post was that I will NOT accept any work
that at a slow glance doesn't look like it will earn at least a C. In my classes, a D
is not a passing grade and their privileges are restricted if that's their average.
Some students work more slowly than others, and their work is worth the wait, which is
one reason I dither so badly about deadlines. Before we had a split lunch schedule this
year, it was easy to keep them in line by making them come in for a lunch date to work;
they couldn't go to lunch until they showed some real progress.

I've read many interesting comments so far; would enjoy hearing more.

Maggie**remove x in address to reply