Re: deadlines vs. learning

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Fran Marze (fmaiu+@pitt.edu)
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 19:46:29 -0500 (EST)

This is a good topic to discuss and a problem that I wrestle with. I don't
like to let any student "slide" and not do the project unless that is the
last resort even though it affects the grade. I have tried to set a
reasonable deadline and then move on and choose a day to collect the work
for grading. I'm not good about piece meal grading. If someone does not
submit on the day I collect, I put a zero on my grade sheet and let them
finish but give a percentage penalty. I'm not sure how effective this is,
but I would prefer not to let someone not do something. However, we deal
with the same problems as other teachers. When I taught English, I would
not allow a student to submit a research paper without all the preliminary
work (bib cards, note cards, draft). Yet, the students had to do the
research paper as it was a required project for the course and so they
could submit the bib cards and get either reduced credit or no credit ( on
a sliding scale) I think we will always have these problems and I hope we
get input from a lot of sources. fRan