RE: art & science - simple machines

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sears, Ellen (ESears.us)
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 11:22:33 -0500

The illustrator/cartoonist was Rub Goldberg. I happened across a set of
postcards that had his illustrations. I shared them with the middle
school science teacher who created his simple machine assessment based
on Goldberg's illustrations. The teacher set up three tasks, the kids
had to use several specific simple/complex machines to complete one task
and write a paper to accompany the illustration. (Think of the old mouse
trap game.) They used several cartooning techniques as well as
perspective on room interiors. The illustrations were done in colored
pencil, marker or watercolor.
There is a Rube Goldberg competition in the US every year.
Science and Children had an article last year about the same type of
activity where the kids actually made the machines.
There is a sculptor/company in Louisville that creates movable
sculptures -
Krinkum Krankum (I think...)
So much fun.....
Ellen