Re: art curriculum for middle school

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Brian Makowski (bmakowsk.us)
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 06:55:03 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Nancy Markowich <mikema89>
To: artsednet.edu <artsednet.edu>
Date: Tuesday, February 17, 1998 9:13 PM
Subject: art curriculum for middle school

>I need to write a curriculum review for my middle school art department
>this year. Any suggestions how to do it? I teach grades 6-8. Sixth
>graders are seen twice in a six day cycle for a semester. Seventh and
>eighth graders are seen four times on a six day cycle for a quarter of
>the year. Any suggestions?

Nancy I too am writing curriculum this year. I found that the current
building schedule was horrible. It treated all specials classes as if they
were just a part of the day when "regular" teachers got rid of their
students.
When I look at your frequency and repetition within a 6 day cycle I see a
similar need. We "specials" teachers found a couple sympathetic "regular"
classroom teachers and sat down to create a schedule. Our work provided for
a dramatically different schedule for all. We are now proposing this
schedule and are finding a lot of interest and support.
I highly suggest that you create and propose a schedule first, and/or part
of you class review. This schedule you have does not provide for clear
intentional teaching and learning.
When does your cycle for change occur? Is this a staffing problem?

Scream and Yell! Your review should be talking about the scope and sequence
of learning. I just do not see how that can happen with your schedule.