Re: this and that

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
lynak (lynak)
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 21:52:09 -0800

Ann, what a great idea for a loom. I think I'll go prune my trees right
now. Also, we are building an reading area outside. Wouldn't it be fun to
put in a pond like you described? What great ideas you have!!!

We did tie-dye in my classroom at Christmas. I used the Rit color dye
method. We tied with rubber bands, hauled everything down to the kitchen
and boiled in huge pots with 2 boxes of dye and l/2 box of salt for 20 - 30
minutes. Then we put the shirts in the big sinks and rinsed until the
water ran clear. Then we washed them in the washer, still banded, and
rinsed them. Then took off the bands and dried them in the drier. They
were beautiful and the colors lasted - so far. I have kids that wear them
every week, sometimes more than once a week. We did navy blue, but the
class across the hall did purple and they were great too!!

Our classrooms have one window and are the new enclose heating/cooling/vent
systems. Almost every woman at school has had a hysterectomy, seems a
little suspecious to me. When planning get windows you can open.

----------
> [...]
> opinion poll, a teachers' guide and more.
>
> http://www.pbs.org/saf/
>
> Christine Merriam
> Kayenta Intermediate Art
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 15:12:22 EST
> From: Eggplant49
> Subject: Tie-Dye
>
> The very best dye to use for tie-dye is Procion Fiber-reactive dye. These
are
> the dyes that are used in the garment industry. They are bright and
colorfast
> and come in a fabulous range of colors. I tie-dye with all age
> groups...kindergarten to adults and I prefer to use the "squirt bottle"
method
> to the submerging method. First, it is MUCH neater. Secondly, you can
control
> the color placement. First and foremost, rubber/laytex gloves must be
worn!
> And all clothes and surfaces must be protected! I always warn my kids
that
> this dye is dangerous because it is permanent!!
>
> After "tying" your garment in the fashion that you want (there are vast
> selections of tying patterns...and many booklets, etc.), you soak it for
10-30
> minutes in a mixture of water and soda ash. This roughs up the fibers a
bit,
> so the dye is absorbed better. After wringing out the garment, place it
on a
> plastic covered surface and with the squirt bottles, you can direct the
dye
> where you want it. I like to use the primary colors to dye with, so that
my
> students can withness first-hand the mixture of primary colors into
secondary
> colors. (In dyeing, magenta, turquoise and yellow work best). Have A LOT
of
> paper towels to sop up any drips...just like paint, a muddy brown is made
when
> these three primary colors mix!
>
> The garments are then placed in sealed plastic bags for 24 hours. The
heat in
> the bag sets the dye. Rinse with cool water until no dye is running. I
hand
> out washing instructions everytime I tie-dye..."wash alone in cold water
the
> first time, then with like colors...." When tie-dye is wet and it lays
on
> another piece of clothing, it can off-set and get dye onto unwanted
places!

> The dye itself comes in a powder form and it is mixed with table salt,
water
> and Urea. All of these things are available through art supply stores and
mail
> order. My most favorite is Dharma Trading Co. 1-800-542-5227 (no
> affliation...etc.) catalog And also Pro Chemical &
Dye
> 1-800-2-BUY-DYE. www.prochemical.com.
>
> Remember...dye is much more effective on natural fibers. I'm a quilter
and I
> dye a lot of the fabric I use. I buy utensils and things like that at the
$1
> stores and I use gallon water bottles to mix the dye...once you try it,
you'll
> love it! I tie-dyed faculty tee-shirts one year and everyone still wears
> them...no color fading! Any questions...e-mail me privately!
> Lynn in NJ
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 12:42:49 -0800
> From: lincarts (Lincoln Arts)
> Subject: Re: DENIAL
>
> At the risk of becoming the subject of a similar diatribe - what's with
the
> vitriol, bub? I thought this was supposed to be an open forum with views
by
> all to be explored? Everyone should have the right to "sign off" the way
> they want - or is freedom of expression only for "beowulf jr." and "satan
> and the seven...," et al?
>
> JMF
>
> >Ok we know it's not a river in Egypt you dumb shit.
> >Beware the ICEMAN
> >cometh..............................................PLEASE
> >don't waste our time on your sophomoric inquiries into the OBVIOUS,
> >it will all become clear with age and experience, try living in the real
> >world for a while, before you even dream of teaching-contrary to popular
> >belief- all knowledge doesn't begin and end at the university
> >
> >-someone who has been there
> >beowulf jr.

> >You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail.
> >Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com
> >Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]
> >

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 12:39:53 -0800 (PST)
> From: lhein
> Subject: Re: New room
>
> Planning another new building yet insufficient still is offered for this
department. I'm sick from no ventilation (as two others in this building
with cancer). I cannot be heard enough. I'm ready to quit.

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 12:45:36 -0800 (PST)
> From: lhein
> Subject: Re: New room
>
> Planning another new building yet insufficient space and ventilation
still is offered for this department. I'm sick from no ventilation (as are
two others in this building with cancer). I cannot be heard enough. I'm
ready to quit.This district has resources. Help needed for real stats.
about ventilation.

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 13:00:10 -0800 (PST)
> From: lhein
> Subject: Re: New room
>
> Get more storage space than you think you will ever need. National
standards state 55 square feet per student in the classroom. NAEA has a
facilities design pamphlet. It's for administrators and designers (who
never look at it).
> Computers? Will you have thewm? Teacher space? Are you networked?
VENTILATION make it you're #1 priority. This is your only time tio get it
right. Ventilate at the source of the fumes, not above the student'd
heads.