Re:Classroom Management

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
amanda clarke (clarkea@s-cwis.unomaha.edu)
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 16:36:38 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Sandra Hildreth wrote:

I wish I knew of better ways to capitalize
> on the strong drawing skills of my problem students as well as how to
> help them learn how to use those drawing skills to improve academically.
>

> --
During my observations in a junior high school, I had the opportunity
to escort a disruptive student to the in school suspension room. I had
seen his behavior in class, and I could see why the teacher was
frustrated. He refused to complete his work, made comments towards the
teacher, disrupted others, etc. Sadly, his work was beautiful. He had
talent, but his attitude kept him from using it in the classroom setting.

While we were walking down to the ISS room, I asked him why? He told me
it was because the teacher wouldn't let him do what he wanted to do. The
assignments for him were boring, or too restrictive. He was surprised
that I asked him why he continually disrupted the class.

Granted, the teacher had her reasons for restricting his work, he liked to
use profanity, but the other problem may have been easier to solve.
Students are required to complete so many projects, and sometimes they
have little say in what they want to create. Think back to your college
classes that were strictly production based. Personally I find them to be
stiffling. Yes, I agree that there are certain skills that must be
mastered to be able to create art, but I do know that there are better
ways to teach them.

Now I know that I have very little experience in the classroom, but I
can still remember what it was like to be a student in classes that were
mandatory. Think back to what disturbed you in class, why you failed to
complete an assignment, was it too hard, too boring, not explained well
enough etc. Every child has a reason for acting out, and we may not
always have the time or the ability to find out why, but we must try.

Students want to be inspired in class, and they want respect. If you can,
ask them why, hold them after class, talk to them as a person, one on one.
Until then, all you can do is discipline them. Every child is different,
and what works for one, will not work for another.

Remember, this is my opinion, not the gospel truth...

Amanda