RE: Woven thoughts

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sears, Ellen (ESears.us)
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 11:50:14 -0500

Gina,
I have done weaving with my students - usually my 2-3 classes. I have
only done cardboard looms, our 5th graders have an artist in residence
for a week each year. For the past few years it has been a weaver.
I must say that I almost dread giving up so much time to weaving. Some
kids are really fast - others need more time, especially if we stick to
yarn. This year I was sorting through some donated fabric while
thinking about our weaving unit. I came across yardage of heavy, woven
fabric. Then it clicked. I tore it into strips for weaving. Then I
found bags of ribbon 'ends' on sale at the fabric store, we added dried
grasses, small twigs, calicos, satin, wire, pipe cleaners... and so on.
It turned out to be a great project for weaving and texture. When
finished the kids added beads, feathers, shells, bottle caps, shrink
plastic charms... and so on. Using the fabric and ribbon went a lot
faster than yarn weavings. As I review the projects - I would probably
have the students weave beads, straw pieces etc., into the piece as
they work... not just string them after. The finished pieces were
about 9 x 12. I can't believe that we didn't do these before...

One class wove on the cardboard to make small bags.

Have you tried dyeing wool with kool aid? I have the directions if you
want them. Bright colors...

Have you seen the woven baskets made from beads and (bell) wire?

We have also done watercolor washes, (make two). Cut into strips and
weave into a flat piece or baskets.

Along time ago we did unweavings with burlap. Then we went back in and
replaced what we took out with yarn.

Have fun.
Ellen

  • Reply: Fran Marze: "Re: Discipline"