Fwd: Something worthwhile - wow, what a story!

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
KateriTeka
Sun, 15 Feb 1998 23:27:09 EST

--part0_887603230_boundary

I wasn't sure if any of you had heard this before but I was pretty impressed
with it.
It's a bit of a tear jerker.
<3 K.

--part0_887603230_boundary

From: RCMyers
To: Dawn.Rae.Boden@ Hitchcock.ORG, Ath-Bret,
smbab, Kira.nh.us, Meltol,
SoComfort2, Mark, Connell45,
dr_myers, KateriTeka, TFisher497,
SNAWAY, Stufor2, elmerdud,
kat03, HIBSMAR,
mjohnson.US (Tpr. Michael Johnson), Nrol,
Myersas, Earle005, PTandVNT, chomper22,
RMSWJ, MissVickiM, SGarceau,
KandyINparadise, obrienej@digital-marketplace.net,
FAIRFAXK, Ptfit1, tedesco.m.us,
EBurke8045, rgarceau, CMillman,
mdartnell, bignana, Annamal123
Subject: Fwd: Something worthwhile - wow, what a story!
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 16:50:35 EST

--part1_887603230_boundary

A great story for you!! Carolyn

--part1_887603230_boundary

From: RONAME
To: RCMyers
Cc: Casjoe, JPCJR9, CAT9201, RWatk39246,
CRoberts26, NYLANY, KLGV08A
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 23:07:05 EST

--part2_887603230_boundary

In a message dated 98-02-09 17:49:36 EST, RoeSul writes:

<< << A Christmas Story

> [...]
> Picasso, Van Gogh, Monet and many others adorned the walls of the family
> estate. The widowed elder man looked on with satisfaction as his only
child
> became an experienced art collector. The son's trained eye and a sharp
> business mind caused his father to beam with pride as they dealt with art
> collectors around the world.
>
> As winter approached, war engulfed the nation, and the young man left to
> serve his country. After only a few short weeks, his father received a
> telegram. His beloved son was missing in action. The art collector
> anxiously
> awaited more news, fearing he would never see his son again. Within days,
> his
> fears were confirmed. The young man had died while rushing a fellow
soldier
> to a medic. Distraught and lonely, the old man faced the upcoming
> Christmas
> holidays with anguish and sadness. The joy of the season - a season that
he
> and his son had so looked forward to - would visit his house no longer.
>
> On Christmas morning, a knock on the door awakened the depressed old man.
> As
> he walked to the door, the masterpieces of art on the walls only reminded
> him
> that his son was not coming home. As he opened the door, he was greeted
by
> soldier with a large package in his hand. He introduced himself to the
man
> by
> saying, "I was a friend of your son. I was the one he was rescuing when
he
> died. May I come in for a few moments? I have something to show you."
>
> As the two began to talk, the soldier told of how the man's son had told
> everyone of his - not to mention his father's - love of fine art. "I'm
an
> artist," said the soldier, "and I want to give you this."
>
> As the old man unwrapped the package, the paper gave way to reveal a
> portrait
> of the man's son. Though the world would never consider it the work of a
> genius, the painting featured the young man's face in striking detail.
> Overcome with emotion, the man thanked the soldier, promising to hang the
> picture above the fireplace.
>
> A few hours later, after the soldier had departed, the old man set about
> his
> task. True to his word, the painting went above the fireplace, pushing
> aside
> thousands of dollars of paintings. And then the man sat in his chair and
> spent Christmas gazing at the gift he had been given. During the days and
> weeks that followed, the man realized that even though his son was no
> longer
> with him, the boy's life would live on because of those he had touched.
He
> would soon learn that his son had rescued dozens of wounded soldiers
before
> bullet stilled his caring heart. As the stories of his son's gallantry
> continued to reach him, fatherly pride and satisfaction began to ease the
> grief. The painting of his son soon became his most-prized possession,
far
> eclipsing any interest in the pieces for which museums around the world
> clamored. He told his neighbors it was the greatest gift he had ever
> received.
>
> The following spring, the old man became ill and passed away. The art
world
> was in anticipation. With the collector's passing, and his only son dead,
> those paintings would be sold at an auction. According to the will of the
> old
> man, all of the art works would be auctioned on Christmas day, the day he
> had
> received his greatest gift.
>
> The day soon arrived and art collectors from around the world gathered to
> bid
> on some of the world's most spectacular paintings. Dreams would be
> fulfilled
> this day; greatness would be achieved as many would claim "I have the
> greatest collection."
>
> The auction began with a painting that was not on any museum's list. It
was
> the painting of the man's son. The auctioneer asked for an opening bid.
The
> room was silent. "Who will open the bidding with $100?" he asked. Minutes
> passed. No one spoke. From the back of the room came, "Who cares about
that
> painting? It's just a picture of his son. Let's forget it and go on to
the
> good stuff." More voices echoed in agreement.
>
> "No, we have to sell this one first," replied the auctioneer. "Now, who
> will
> take the son?" Finally, a friend of the old man spoke. "Will you take ten
> dollars for the painting? That's all I have. I knew the boy, so I'd like
> have it."
>
> "I have ten dollars. Will anyone go higher?" called the auctioneer. After
> more silence, the auctioneer said, "Going once, going twice. Gone." The
> gavel fell. Cheers filled the room and someone exclaimed, "Now we can get
> on
> with it and we can bid on these treasures!"
>
> The auctioneer looked at the audience and announced the auction was over.
> Stunned disbelief quieted the room. Someone spoke up and asked, "What do
> you
> mean it's over? What about all of these paintings? There are millions of
> dollars of art here! I demand that you explain what's going on here! We
> didn't come here for a picture of some old guy's son."
>
> The auctioneer replied, "It's very simple. According to the will of the
> father, whoever takes the son...gets it all."

--part2_887603230_boundary

From: RoeSul
To: RONAME
Cc: Sull578, Imilich, RYoung6401
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 17:49:36 EST

--part3_887603230_boundary

--part3_887603230_boundary

From: Eaulicin
To: Jaulicin, RoeSul, CMAulicin, didio
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 16:58:19 EST

--part4_887603230_boundary

--part4_887603230_boundary

From: Ronniemull
To: Weir7, tywatson, Lmar97,
goldssm5, MzLadyGrl, Ahl66,
gailgfa, SUSANBRONX, Eaulicin, Camrl,
barrye2, MCESEW, rthornblad,
Coachowens, LKosits443, KEB10, R2foru,
Itscurtins, FUDOTE
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 09:44:41 EST

--part5_887603230_boundary

--part5_887603230_boundary

From: PDebla1046
To: Ronniemull, Angflo1024, DPierce565,
charles, katylin3, GARVIN01,
HGRAY007, Brandy6376, cstrat,
FJGEN1, NAN264, JA4CK3SON, DeLadybug,
LizzyLeB
Subject: Fwd: Something worthwhile
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 1998 12:52:12 EST

--part6_887603230_boundary

--part6_887603230_boundary

From: Fluffylou
To: Femmefiend, MYLADY105, Lynlette, Grayl1n,
MNBelinda, PDebla1046, DNJR18, UniqLynda,
SuzeeQiluv, SARAHGODD, BEBESAL1,
Tillie424, Debsterh, Keener7, Devilwabdo
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 18:47:35 EST

--part7_887603230_boundary

--part7_887603230_boundary

From: Lasha66399
To: Fluffylou, Bad2d, PMonsam, DSmith1884,
Borzoilvr, Rakshasa69, Luehrsen2,
BBSCHILTZ, YNCSROSS, hyland1, Topcat,
bobmiller, RLuella, tigger8tail,
Angel71633, fadys
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 18:42:26 EST

--part8_887603230_boundary

nice story

--part8_887603230_boundary

From: Bunnie112
To: TXPAYR, WUFEYES, Lasha66399,
Glen_Manthei
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 08:49:59 EST

--part9_887603230_boundary

This is a neat story............touches the heart! :-)

--part9_887603230_boundary