appearances

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Stubby4B
Sat, 14 Feb 1998 20:24:39 EST

In a message dated 98-02-14 16:46:43 EST, GoddessPgn writes:

> in simplest terms, what are your feelings on me teaching with my eyebrow
ring
> and tongue ring in? in addition, what are your feelings on me wearing my
> boots?

Well, Aimee, first I'll say this. Pierced tongues sure do gross me out. As
do eyes, nipples, lips, and other body parts, mentionable and not (is this a
family newsgroup?) - even ears can give me the willies, watching a woman put
her earrings on.

Next I'll say this. I haven't had my hair cut in five years, and it's rather
long and curly. Is my hair so important that I wouldn't get it cut for a job?
My hair isn't that important, but what is important are the opinions of the
person I'm working for. If they were offended by my hair, then, frankly, I
don't want to work for them. I mean, I brush it, wear it down sometimes, tied
back others, but that isn't really the point. Do *you* want to work for
someone who has a moral or ethical or other problem with your appearance? I
don't. But I'm willing to stand by my beliefs, and I'd pass a job up if there
was a problem. Someone else may choose to cut their hair, take out their
piercings, shave their mohawk, etc., and that's ok, too.

You need to decide for yourself what your appearance is worth to you.

I do wear a tie everyday. I never thought that would happen.

Duffy Franco
stubby4B

How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives.
-Annie Dillard