Re: 19th & 20th C. Artists Who Have Infuenced American Culture

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
wendy sauls (wsauls)
Sat, 14 Feb 1998 18:05:14

At 02:28 AM 2/14/98 -0600, Robert Alexander Fromme wrote:
>Katherine
>
>Please consider a couple additional concerns before you settle upon the
list.

>1. Historians suggest that Abstract Expressionism in the 1940s marked the
>first major American movement and prior to that time the majority of the
>influences and chances were taking place in Europe.
>
>2. Are you sure that Lucy Lippard, Jacob Lawrence, Joseph Cornell, Miriam
>Shapiro,Whitney Chadwick, Norman Rockwell, Laurie Anderson have had the
>greatest influence on American culture? For some of us, they would seem
>marginal, at best.
>
>Well, good luck with your list making project. Seems like it could be a
>lot longer, at least.
>
>Bob Fromme

hi bob,

using your intro, "historians suggest...", historians like whitney chadwick
suggest that there has been an intentional marginalization of artists like
many of those mentioned by katherine, by the powers that be, or powers that
were, in the artworld (european/american white males). i think it is high
time for inclusion, and to help young people realize white guys whose stuff
is in museums aren't the only ones who've been making important art all
this time. you are very, very correct in saying "the list" should be
longer, and more feminine and colorful and diverse! also, what's marginal
to me, or you, may be very influential to someone else. surely the
students who select an artist will be able to explain how their choice was
influential.

:) wendy

Wendy Sauls
Art Teacher, Kanapaha Middle School, Gainesville, FL
Doctoral Student, Art Education, Florida State University
wsauls