Re: Re: appearances...

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Mark Alexander (mamjam)
Sat, 14 Feb 1998 17:28:10 -0500

Dear aimee,

Do you have a job yet? A few years ago, I thought it was important to dress
the part. While student teaching and for job interviews I always wore a
tie, never wore jeans, and I thought my long pony tail and earring wouldn't
be a problem as long as otherwise my attire was neat and professional. But
then later I found I wasn't getting hired. I needed a job and I was getting
worried. Then on a whim I cut my hair and removed my earring just before a
late August job interview. I'd like to think these grooming changes didn't
matter, but I got the job. I'm still working there. Now that I've proven
myself, I probably could get away with growing out my hair again and
wearing my earring again. But I've decided I'd rather not. I'd prefer to
not give any conservative school administrator or narrow minded parent any
reason to suspect my professionalism. I do some outlandish high profile
projects, we have splashy art 'happenings,' we go on lots of field trips to
artist's studios, and I get good press and the powers that be never refuse
my strange requests, because I am well respected and trusted by virtually
everyone in this community. I'd just assume not instill any doubt for the
sake of my hair. I chose to keep my attire professional, including my
shoes, jewelry, and hair. That's how I see it. I hope this helps.

Mark

Mark Alexander, 1-8 Art
Lee H. Kellogg School
47 Main Street