Re: Re: appearances...

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Alix E. Peshette (apeshet)
Sat, 14 Feb 1998 13:21:50 +0000

> From: GoddessPgn
> Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 12:14:30 EST
> To: mamjam, LCROGERSSB, artsednet.edu
> Subject: Re: Re: appearances...

Aimee,
I take that you are under thirty and part of the generation that
routinely got tattooed and body pierced, feeling that you were right
in style as everyone you knew was doing it.

I too, at age twenty-five, (in the '70's) got a rose tattoo, on my
ankle, thinking that I was too liberal and free to ever be burdened
by society's disapproval of this; afterall, everyone I knew was
getting tattoo's.

Times change, fashions change and career directions change. I spent
almost twenty years having to defend this tattoo choice to anyone who
glanced at my ankle. It became something that got in the way of me
being effective at what I wanted to do with my life. I found that
there was an incredible gender bias against women with body
adornment. When I started teaching middle school, the kids absolutely
couldn't get past that tattoo. Maybe if I had taught high school, or was in a
different district, it might have been different.

Teaching is a conservative career, don't be fooled into thinking
otherwise. We are often the purveyors of middle class values and
must present ourselves as such to be effective or even hired. And personnel
directors ( who might interview you) will always be people who are at
least twenty years older than you.

Save your rings and piercings for either places that don't show or
jewelry that can be taken out during school time. As for the combat
boots, go for it, girl!!

-Alix Peshette

> all...
>
> in simplest terms, what are your feelings on me teaching with my eyebrow ring
> and tongue ring in? in addition, what are your feelings on me wearing my
> boots?
>
> blessed be.......aimee

  • Reply: Fran Marze: "Re: Re: appearances..."