Re: 19th & 20th C. Artists Who Have Infuenced American Culture

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Robert Alexander Fromme (rfromme)
Sat, 14 Feb 1998 02:28:03 -0600

Katherine

Please consider a couple additional concerns before you settle upon the list.

1. Historians suggest that Abstract Expressionism in the 1940s marked the
first major American movement and prior to that time the majority of the
influences and chances were taking place in Europe. If the English teacher
has asked you for names of 19th or 20th century artists who have had the
greatest influence on the American culture, you will do well to look to the
artists of Europe in the 1800s and early 1900s. The inclusion of DuChamp
and Picasso in your list seems to demand the additions of the Bauhaus, the
other Dada, the Surrealists, the Impressionists, the Post-Impressionists
etc. These artists provided the influence, the seeds, for many of the late
20th Cent. folks on your list.

2. Are you sure that Lucy Lippard, Jacob Lawrence, Joseph Cornell, Miriam
Shapiro,Whitney Chadwick, Norman Rockwell, Laurie Anderson have had the
greatest influence on American culture? For some of us, they would seem
marginal, at best.

Well, good luck with your list making project. Seems like it could be a
lot longer, at least.

Bob Fromme

At 02:19 AM 2/14/98 -0600, you wrote:
>At 08:13 PM 2/13/98 EST, Moonbeargj wrote:
>
>>A seventh grade English teacher has asked for my input. She is compiling a
>>list of potential term paper topics for her students. She has asked me for
>>names of 19th or 20th century artists who have had the greatest influence on
>>the American culture. I can think of many who have reflected the American
>>culture. I would really be interested in suggestions of artists who have had
>>influence on the American culture. Thank you for your opinions!
>

>my opinion:
>
>Art is not passive. Artists may shape AND reflect culture, with their
>work. How the art is shown, or not shown, critiqued, or not critiqued,
>taught, or not taught also reflects as well as shapes culture.
>
>So, I'd include some important shows, writers, collectors and teachers in
>the list of term paper topics. How about the WPA, the influence of
>photography on beginning our National Parks, photography and advertising ?
>

>my list for seventh graders:
>
>The 1893 World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago
>
>The Armory Show
>
>Museum of Modern Art
>
>Lucy Lippard
>
>Marcel DuChamp