19th & 20th C. Artists Who Have Infuenced American Culture

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Katherine Giltinan (k.giltinan)
Sat, 14 Feb 1998 02:19:01 -0600

At 08:13 PM 2/13/98 EST, Moonbeargj wrote:

>A seventh grade English teacher has asked for my input. She is compiling a
>list of potential term paper topics for her students. She has asked me for
>names of 19th or 20th century artists who have had the greatest influence on
>the American culture. I can think of many who have reflected the American
>culture. I would really be interested in suggestions of artists who have had
>influence on the American culture. Thank you for your opinions!

my opinion:

Art is not passive. Artists may shape AND reflect culture, with their
work. How the art is shown, or not shown, critiqued, or not critiqued,
taught, or not taught also reflects as well as shapes culture.

So, I'd include some important shows, writers, collectors and teachers in
the list of term paper topics. How about the WPA, the influence of
photography on beginning our National Parks, photography and advertising ?

my list for seventh graders:

The 1893 World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago

The Armory Show

Museum of Modern Art

Lucy Lippard

Marcel DuChamp