Re: art & science

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
wendy sauls (wsauls)
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 19:53:05

At 12:04 PM 2/11/98 -0500, Louise wrote:

>>On Friday, Feb 6, 1998, Ebbade wrote:
>>I have exhausted my limited resources and need help.
>>I am looking for lessons or material that I can use to create
>>lessons\workshops on the meeting of art and science.
>>This could be the art in science or the science in art.
>

>I have been teaching a lesson on simple machines to 2ond graders. First we
>are mechanics. We talk about wheel and axles, pulleys, etc. Then we tear
>apart broken machines that I have collected all year...safety glasses of
>course! (Cut off all electric cords first) We look for the simple
>machines within the appliance and put in categories. The next week we are
>inventors...on PAPER. Using the things we saw from the mechanic part of
>the lesson, we think of time or labor saving devices and DRAW those
>inventions.
> Great way to use the brain and cheap as dirt lesson! This idea is
>supposed to be published soon in ARTS & ACTIVITIES.
>Apologies to those who find that "rag" beneath them!
>Louise

sounds like a really cool lesson, can't wait to read more about it in a&a.
we do a similar project in ms in our modern art unit and focus on the
futurist movement, looking at lots of giacomo balla's work and others. a
good tie in to ah, i think!

wendy

Wendy Sauls
Art Teacher, Kanapaha Middle School, Gainesville, FL
Doctoral Student, Art Education, Florida State University
wsauls