Re: thank you

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Lily/Clair Kerns (CWKerns)
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 08:55:51 -0600

>>Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 18:53:48 EST
From: "Collin, Philippa A." <X8C6>
Subject: thank you
Thank you to all who sent me messages about how to approach teaching
art history and my weakness studio. I have decided to do my first
unit plan on movement but I can not think of an Ant. Set. I want
to start with something that would be completely hands on or spark
some interest with all involved. Any ideas? Philippa (SLU)

You might want to try "air drawing". Have them stand with plenty of space
if possible. (can be done sitting, but not nearly as effective). Then they
draw with their whole body-- BIG. It can be done with eyes closed,
visualizing a tree perhaps, or a room or even something small like a flower.
It could also be done with eyes open, then closed to draw a picture or
object you are discussing. Depending on your situation--and the class--you
may want to insist that they can move any part of their body except their
feet!

Getting their kinaesthetic and visualization as well as outwardly visual
senses involved gives added dimension. You might also want to discuss how
this kind of drawing becomes, in effect, an interpretive dance.

This kind of drawing can also be done in response to music--but choose the
music carefully......

Lily