AP Art History - Ap Institutes

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Karen Fish (kfish.hk)
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 20:48:30 +0000

Thanks for the response on the AP art history program. I put out a
request on this issue quite a while ago, and thanks to those who
responded.
In the message from J Rollans you mentioned the AP Institutes. I am
chasing these now. Can anyone help? So far my school has recievd no
inforamtion for this summer. I tried the College Board Online and the
whole section on workshops seems to be down. I am teaching in Hong
Kong so I need to plan well in advance to get to these
courses. Especially as I'm an Australian and have never been to the
States! This summer however, I can get to Hawaii where I know they
hold an AP Institute in early August. Does anyone have any details
about them for 98? Is there one on Art History?

Again if you teach Ap Art History please share your knowledge. Do you
use a chronological approach? Or do you go thematically? What
themes do you use? What teaching strategies do you use? I am an art
teacher not a history teacher so I will definitely be
incorporating some studio experiences as well. Any ideas?
Thanks
Karen

> Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 12:57:16 -0800 (PST)
> From: jrollans.us
> To: artsednet.edu
> Subject: Re: REquest for info. on AP Art History

> I have been teaching AP Art History for 15 years and I am a constultant for the Southwest Region of the College Board in Ap Art History.
> I have three classes of AP Art History, ranging in size from 12 - 20. I use Gardner's Art Through The Ages as
> my base text and supplement it with several others. My students love the course. It is open to 10 - 12 graders and
> I find that there is a wide range of interest in the course. At our school it is in the History Dept. There is so much interest in
> art history that we now have a second course called 20th Century Art and the
> pre-requisite for the course. I do not know how you would link AP Studio
> and AP Art History as they are two distinct courses. Most studio students
> take AP Art History but also many students who have never taken an art class also
> take the course. If you planto teach the course next year, I strongly suggest
> that you attend an AP Summer Institute in Art History. These are held in several
> regions of the country. Your local college board office should be
> able to give you a complete listing of these summer institutes. Contact me if you
> have any other questions. J. Rollans

Karen Fish
Fine Arts Dept.
Hong Kong International School