Re: classroom management or misunderstanding forms of resistance?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 17:47:58 -0800

Gary Bogus wrote:

> Bunki,
>
> I didn't seee Kevin's original message but I agree. Whatever happened to
> school as a means of conveying legitimate social standards, such as respect
> for others, politeness, appropriate ways to seek positive attention..?.all
> this and more should be taught, and EXPECTED every day in every classroom.
> How many sociopaths are we encouraging with the "critical process of
> challenging the status quo"? Personally, I have great empathy for the daily
> trials of children, but very little for adults who feel that anti social
> and disrespectful behavior is some sort of signifier of societal
> disfunction. Acting out children have been TAUGHT and SUPPORTED in this
> behavior by adults who can't or won't set limits and pass the
> responsibility on to others, generally teachers.

Well said, Gary! As I told the couselor when I refused to allow a very
disruptive pothead back into my class after failing two of my courses, and giving
me a hard time in the process, "I'm tired of playing social worker. Let someone
else put up with him."

Maggie**remove x in address to reply