Re: new teacher

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Mike Delaney (edelaney)
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 17:44:06 -0500

Philippa, Good luck teahcing. I teach art history in all my classes. I
was teaching art history last year by giving a handout. I had the students
follow along and underline because a lot of them don't read well and have
dissabilities. I then worked with a school to work program and trying to
help encourage students to get ready for the job force. I decided they
needed more prqactice with reading and writing, along with problem solving,
and work on their responsibilite and so forth. So this year I went back to
the old take note off of the board and you may copy your neighbor's notes
too, plus I give them a written narrative to follow. By the end of the day
I was tired of repeating so I recalled whn I went to an inter- learn
miminar about concert narrative. it wass 7th period sculpture class. I
have 30 students. I had them relax, lay their heads downn or sit quiet and
I turned out the lights and turned on a classical tape. I told them the
story about the artist since I had reapeated it often enough. I had them
invision things and whe I wanted them to remember names I had them think of
someone with a similar name. At the end of the session I turned on the
lights and we looked at the examples of the works and discussed the
composition. I gave a quik quiz and 1/2 of the class got a perfect score.
The next class session I will review again. 6 of the students had the
calss another time and had the sart history the other way. They preferred
the concer visualization. I will give quizes to the other classes and will
see which way they will retain the knowledge. I might play a game to test
the knowledge. Enola from Indiana