Re: artsednet-digest V2 #576

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Juliet Moore (jgmoore)
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 13:52:44 -0600

Hello Kevin: I don't know if you remember meeting me last Spring at Penn
State. I was feverishly finishing my dissertation and I was constantly in a
state of panic re. the printing of one draft or another.
I was just writing to let you know that I really appreciate the messages
that you post to artsednet; they are consistently among the most thoughtful
and thought-provoking messages that I read. Thanks! (I, on the other hand,
am too lazy to actually engage in any of the debates, but instead furtively
eavesdrop)
That's all I wanted to say! Hope to see you at NAEA. Juliet

At 09:52 AM 2/11/98 -0800, you wrote:

>artsednet-digest Wednesday, February 11 1998 Volume 02 : Number 576
>

>This edition includes :
>curriculum
>Software for middle school art curriculum
>tie dye
>inclusion
>Re: art teacher liability
>classroom (manage) laments
>Re: artsednet-digest V2 #574
>Re: artsednet-digest V2 #574
>MCN'98 Proposal Deadline Extended
>On Museum Visits...
>new teacher
>art & science
>Re: classroom management or misunderstanding forms of resis

>Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 21:18:32 -0600
>From: Chaney <lchaney>
>Subject: curriculum
>
>Hello,
>
>Is there a list some where of which artists should be taught at which
>grades for elementary? I'm working on writing a new curriculum.
>

>Thanks to you all for your advice on supplies. I now have a check out
>list on my wall for student supplies, and have lots of ideas for next
>year. Thanks Again!!!!
>
>Melissa Chaney
>Midway R-1
>K-12
>Cleveland, MO
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 22:55:53 -0500
>From: Mike Markowich <mikema89>
>Subject: Software for middle school art curriculum
>
>I teach art (grades 6-8). I have an IBM compatible computer in my
>classrsoom. What software would you recommend for this age level? I want
>to apply material to the art curriculum?
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 23:31:32 -0500
>From: jeryl Hollingsworth <holl5>
>Subject: tie dye
>
>I have been doing tie dye t shirts with 2nd-4th gr for the last 8 years
>(last year after pressure from the teachers I added first grade with
>parent helpers) We do the project in conjunction with our spring P.E.Day
>(where the classes compete in races,etc..) Each class votes for a color
>and after we finish with the shirts they wear them as "team shirts" on
>P.E. day. I just use rit dye- we get it donated by a parent who is the
>manager of a local grocery store. It takes about 4 -5 boxes for a class
>of appox. 20. I used to request .50 from kid to help with that expense.
>I send a note home several weeks before to request a white cotton shirt
>and the money . By now it is such an established, looked forward to
>event that parents and kids expect it. I suggest buying the shirts in
>packages at Wal-mart etc. Many parents send extras. Usually there are
>only a couple of kids in each class who don't have a shirt-(they help
>others) Anyway, I spend one class period with the history of tie dye,
>countries etc. and techniques for folding , twisting and rubber banding.
>The students band their shirts during this class. I bought rubber bands
>in bulk at an office supply store and re-use those that don't get
> [...]
Dr. Juliet G. Moore
Assistant Professor in Art Education
Department of Curriculum & Instruction
University of Houston