Re: classroom management or misunderstanding forms of resis

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Deborah Neff (den114)
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 12:55:19 -0500

I think it is ashame that some teachers view misbahaving students as
unmotivated. Yes, students make a choice to misbahave, or disrupt the
classroom. And they usually make this choice for a reason. The intent of
the behavior is what needs to be understood.Why is a student acting in this
way? Maybe there are issues in the students home that are distracting him.
Maybe he as a learning disability and can't comprehend the instructions.
Whatever ii may be I feel it needs to be properly dealt with, not just
"payed off" with crackers. You may have just cause in thinking this way,
afterall, you have the experience and I don't (being an under grad). But I
still think teachers need to understand where their students are coming
from because very often there's s lot more going on.
Debbie Neff

At 6:45 PM +0000 2/10/98, Alix E. Peshette wrote:
>> Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 18:17:48 -0700
>> To: artsednet.edu
>> From: bkramer.us (Bunki Kramer)
>> Subject: Re: classroom management or misunderstanding forms of
>>resistance?
>
>Re: Understanding forms of resistance?
>
>I know from my decade-plus of experience with 7th graders, that some
>students make calculated and conscious decisions to be disruptive. There are
>various pay-offs they get from this behavior. Yes, I could take the
>time to discern what motivates this behavior. What I mostly see is that they
>are making a choice. Life is full of choices and I am a great believer
>in natural
>consequences. One consequence is flunking art! Another consequence is being
>told to leave the room and be elsewhere. Public school is maybe the
>last bastion in a child's life where inappropriate and disruptive behavior is
>tolerated. Just try bad attitude and disruption in the true world of
>work!!
>
>As Bunki said, with class sizes in the thirties and limited time,
>we need to address the needs of the students who are there to learn.
>The disruptors are stealing time and attention away from motivated students.
>Be it goldfish crackers or terrific tickets (my motivational mode) we do
>what works on any given day, to the benefit of the students who are
>there to learn!!
>
>-Alix Peshette
>Emerson Junior High School
>7th grade art and 7th grade social studies
>Davis, CA
>

>> Kevin wrote:
>> >Busy work, reading and writing as punishment, and feeding crackers to
>> >students , as if they were a k-9 salivating at the sound of a bell,
>> >transmit and legitimate the structure and ideology of schooling as a site
>> >of useless information and textual knowledge as punishment while limiting
>> >the potential to readdress student resistance into critical processes of
>> >challenging the status quo.
>>
>> And I have a question for you, Kevin. How long has it been since you've
>> taught in the k-12 classroom? I have an average of 36 students in each of
>> my classroom periods at the middle school level. Counting time for demo and
>> clean-up minutes, that gives me approx. 40-45 seconds to spend with each
>> student during classwork time. I have no time to "re-address student
>> resistance into critical processes of challenging the status quo". I have
>> little time to re-adjust disruptive students into another mode so I can
>> deal with the rest of those who want to do art learning. If you want to
>> come to California and have them give me 20 kids for each of my classes,
>> then I could have more time to delve into why kids act the way they do.
>> However, as it stands now....if I found that goldfish crackers were a good
>> motivator, lordy...that's exactly what I would do! This is "real life"
>> we're talking about here!!! Cya...........
>>
>> Bunki Kramer
> [...]

  • Reply: Sidnie Miller: "Re: classroom management or misunderstanding forms of resis"