art & science

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Louise (lutton.us)
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 12:04:45 -0500

>On Friday, Feb 6, 1998, Ebbade wrote:
>I have exhausted my limited resources and need help.
>I am looking for lessons or material that I can use to create
>lessons\workshops on the meeting of art and science.
>This could be the art in science or the science in art.

I have been teaching a lesson on simple machines to 2ond graders. First we
are mechanics. We talk about wheel and axles, pulleys, etc. Then we tear
apart broken machines that I have collected all year...safety glasses of
course! (Cut off all electric cords first) We look for the simple
machines within the appliance and put in categories. The next week we are
inventors...on PAPER. Using the things we saw from the mechanic part of
the lesson, we think of time or labor saving devices and DRAW those
inventions.
Great way to use the brain and cheap as dirt lesson! This idea is
supposed to be published soon in ARTS & ACTIVITIES.
Apologies to those who find that "rag" beneath them!
Louise

  • Reply: wendy sauls: "Re: art & science"