Re: classroom management or misunderstanding forms of resis

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Alix E. Peshette (apeshet)
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 18:45:11 +0000

> Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 18:17:48 -0700
> To: artsednet.edu
> From: bkramer.us (Bunki Kramer)
> Subject: Re: classroom management or misunderstanding forms of resistance?

Re: Understanding forms of resistance?

I know from my decade-plus of experience with 7th graders, that some
students make calculated and conscious decisions to be disruptive. There are
various pay-offs they get from this behavior. Yes, I could take the
time to discern what motivates this behavior. What I mostly see is that they
are making a choice. Life is full of choices and I am a great believer in natural
consequences. One consequence is flunking art! Another consequence is being
told to leave the room and be elsewhere. Public school is maybe the
last bastion in a child's life where inappropriate and disruptive behavior is
tolerated. Just try bad attitude and disruption in the true world of work!!

As Bunki said, with class sizes in the thirties and limited time,
we need to address the needs of the students who are there to learn.
The disruptors are stealing time and attention away from motivated students.
Be it goldfish crackers or terrific tickets (my motivational mode) we do
what works on any given day, to the benefit of the students who are
there to learn!!

-Alix Peshette
Emerson Junior High School
7th grade art and 7th grade social studies
Davis, CA