Re: classroom management or misunderstanding forms of resistance?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Bunki Kramer (bkramer.us)
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 18:17:48 -0700

Kevin wrote:
>Busy work, reading and writing as punishment, and feeding crackers to
>students , as if they were a k-9 salivating at the sound of a bell,
>transmit and legitimate the structure and ideology of schooling as a site
>of useless information and textual knowledge as punishment while limiting
>the potential to readdress student resistance into critical processes of
>challenging the status quo.

And I have a question for you, Kevin. How long has it been since you've
taught in the k-12 classroom? I have an average of 36 students in each of
my classroom periods at the middle school level. Counting time for demo and
clean-up minutes, that gives me approx. 40-45 seconds to spend with each
student during classwork time. I have no time to "re-address student
resistance into critical processes of challenging the status quo". I have
little time to re-adjust disruptive students into another mode so I can
deal with the rest of those who want to do art learning. If you want to
come to California and have them give me 20 kids for each of my classes,
then I could have more time to delve into why kids act the way they do.
However, as it stands now....if I found that goldfish crackers were a good
motivator, lordy...that's exactly what I would do! This is "real life"
we're talking about here!!! Cya...........

Bunki Kramer
Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Rd.
Danville, California 94526
bkramer.ca.us

  • Reply: Stacy_Hedrick.az.us: "yet another classroom management"
  • Reply: Stenger - Judith DiSalvo: "Re: classroom management or misunderstanding forms of resistance?"