Student Created Games

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Bonnie Capehart (bonniecapehart)
Sun, 8 Feb 1998 07:19:02 -0800

Dear Sandra,
I'm an first year substitute elementary teacher her in San Diego.
I am working hard at developing ideas for my own primary classroom and
your response regarding Science and Art has given me a wonderful idea.
When playing the game Concentration, young children often have
difficulty keeping the facedown cards in their original places. So I plan
on making fun Concentration Games in support of lessons for reinforcement
and practice. I take a poster board and use those adorable sticky notes
available today not only in teacher supply stores but places like WalMart
and Target and then just add a few corner pen designs to tie it all
together. After this is laminated, it makes the perfect, colorful,
attractive game board. Now that's enough work in and of itself. But you
have now given me the idea of having the students come up with the game
board and cards. Kids love this game, so will be motivated to create the
game and at the same time the will be unknowingly brushing up on their
science.
I love the Artsnew list because it has given me so many ideas
that I have been able to spring off of.
Thanks again for your ideas.
Bonnie Capehart <bonniecapehart

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 07 Feb 1998 23:05:58 -0500
From: Sandra Hildreth <shildret>
Subject: Re: Science & Art

I once conducted a very successful collaboration with a science teacher
who wanted to introduce some games into her science labs - as a way of
making the learning a little more fun. So my senior high graphic design
students were given the task of designing a board game that taught the
classification of living things. (Science teachers choice of a topic).
We got monopoly type games, trivial pursuit, candyland, etc. and while
my students applied their art and creativity skills to the design of the
game, they also were unknowlingly brushing up on their science!

Another art/science project could involve the design of a children's
book on some aspect of science. Art skills for the design and creation
of the book, research and review of science knowledge for the content.
- --
Sandra Hildreth
C.L.A.S.S. (Cultural Literacy through Art & Social Studies)
http://www.northnet.org/mwcsart/mwart.htm
Art 7-12, Madrid-Waddington Central School, Madrid, NY 13660
Art Methods, St. Lawrence University, Canton, NY 13617

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]