Re: artists in residency

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
betti longinotti (p-lstudio)
Sun, 8 Feb 1998 09:56:03 -0500

--WebTV-Mail-165189708-1035

Amy,
We also have strong artist residency programs in the state of North
Carolina which come through our state's arts council, or local arts
council, as well. In my community, the Winston-Salem Arts Council has
an arts-in- education program to bring in individual artists or
performing arts groups. Individuals or organizations, museums,etc. may
apply. It is funding by matching grant funds with our school system. A
panel which includes members of the arts and schools community make the
decisions of who and what receives funding. I currently am a member of
this panel. I, also after having an artist-in-residence in my classroom
(Spring 1994), artist and educator-Tim Rollins, had applied for local
grant monies to be an artist-in-residence in my own
classroom...something unheard of, which never had occurred before
locally, and DID receive the funding (1995). Those two experiences have
really shaped my life as an art educator and artist.
Going back to the artist residency of Tim Rollins....this came through
numerous grants (local, state and national) that a local museum secured,
SECCA, the SE Center for Contemporary Art. They have a long time
program established called Artist In the Community which brings
nationally acclaimed artists to our schools, or community-based venues.
Tim Rollins, Willie Birch, Maya Lin are three artists they have brought
in over the last few years, which are in conjunction with exhibitions of
their work. We are greatly indebted to SECCA's hardwork in bringing
these jewels to our community.

In Art & Life,
Betti L.
p-lstudio