Re: Looking for encouragement

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Sat, 07 Feb 1998 19:07:47 -0800

J629393M wrote:

> Greetings! I am an art education senior and am excited about student teaching
> soon. My problem is that I have been hearing many negative things about
> being an art teacher, and I need some support here. Do art instructors really
> get such little respect from collegues? From students? From higher ups? I
> would appriciate any words of wisdom. Thank you!
> Jennifer at Edinboro,PA

Jennifer,

You're going to bowl them over with your enthusiasm and love of your subject. The
students will be very intrigued and interested in you; they'll listen to you just
because you're such a novelty. Once you've got their attention, you'll hook 'em.

Remember: you will be a _teacher_. Don't let the students try to prey on your naivete
or inexperience. Know what you want to teach, and _why_. Don't be afraid to experiment
with something new, or fall on your face trying it out, or being flexible enough to try
again.

As for negative colleagues: as long as you act like yours is the most important subject
in the whole school--and of course, we know it is :) --they won't be able to get to you.
Just ignore any negative comments or auras around those teachers, and continue on your
merry way. You can grind your teeth over it in private. No, really, I don't think
you'll have a problem.

As a bonus, I'll pass on the one useful bit of advice I learned from my co-op teacher:
always make friends with the secretaries and the janitors. They're the ones who
actually run things.

Best wishes to you.

Maggie**remove x in address to reply

  • Reply: zfgf: "Re: Re: Looking for encouragement"
  • Reply: CalligHead: "Re: Olympics"