Re: Science and Art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Robert Alexander Fromme (rfromme)
Sat, 07 Feb 1998 05:29:49 -0600

At 01:28 AM 2/7/98 EST, Ebbade wrote:
>I have exhausted my limited resources and need help.
>I am looking for lessons or material that I can use to create
>lessons\workshops on the meeting of art and science.
>This could be the art in science or the science in art.
>Thank you all from a new subscriber.

Perhaps you could talk about:

1. The history and chemistry of painting media.
(Paleolithic cave walls, egg tempera, en caustic, oil, acrylics, etc.)

2. Explain how drawing charcoal is created or make some as a
class project. (In college we simply used a 4" X 12" steel pipe with
threads on each end. We capped each end very loosely with pipe
caps so some smoke and air pressure could escape. Then we filled
it with grape vine twigs wired into a bundle. The container full of
vine twigs was placed on a double hot plate for 8 to 10 hours where
it would smolder. In the oxygen starved atmosphere, the vine would reduce
to charcoal.

This will allow for your to talk about the chemistry of combustion and
related changes which can be applied to all kinds of ways an artist
uses fire in the creation of art objects. (jewelry, pottery, sculpture, etc.)

3. Try lessons about the chemistry of oxidation vs. reduction firing
in a kiln and how various metal oxides are effected by oxygen or the lack
of it.

4. Talk about the history, chemistry and physics of combustion, heat transfer,
and insulation materials in kiln construction.

5.. Talk about the history, chemistry and physics of clay and glazes.(changes
of clay and various glazes go through as they are heated.

6. Talk about the physics of the throwing process in ceramics (gravity,
surface tension holding the clay mass together, torque from the fingers against
the spinning wheel, and the centrifugal force of the spinning mass.

7. Do lessons on the chemistry in photography or the physics of cameras and
the photographic image....lense, depth of field, distances in the the
construction
of the tool , human eye, etc. (Make and use a pin-hole camera)

8. Talk about the psychology of visual illusions .

9. Do lessons on the human eye and the physics of color (rods, cones, etc)

10. Do lessons on what we are learning about the human brain, the learning
process and how
it is helping teachers to teach and students to learn in the arts.

Hope this helps.

Bob
Robert Fromme <rfromme> or <rfromme>